phone: 775-336-0251 | fax: 775-784-4881
I have nearly 20 years of experience working on issues related to woody plant stress. I am particularly interested in the impact of water stress on trees, and have spent most of my career instructing students, Green Industry professionals, Master Gardeners and the public on landscape water conservation strategies. I also have an interest in marketing social change, and I have used a variety of strategies to help citizens move towards positive behavior related to urban landscape sustainability.
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 2004 (Horticulture / Plant Physiology)
- M.S. University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, 2000 (Biology)
- B.S. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1979 (Agriculture)
- 2010 – Present – Horticulture Specialist, University of Nevada Cooperative Extension
- 2004 – 2010 – Extension Ornamental Horticulture Specialist, Utah State University
- 2000 – 2004 – Plant Sciences Institute Fellow, Iowa State University
- Member, American Society for Horticultural Science
- Member, Ecological Society of America
- Member, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Professional Service (Selected)
- 2015 – President, Nevada Landscape Association
- 2015 – Present – Associate Editor, Native Plants Journal
- 2013 – Present – National eXtension Water Conservation for Lawn and Landscape Community of Practice
- 2010 – Present – National eXtension Master Gardener Coordinators’ Committee
- 2006 – Present – Formal reviewer (by appointment), Journal of Extension
- Multistate Collaborative Activities
- Founder/member, WERA 1013: Intermountain Regional Evaluation and Introduction of Native Plants, USDA-NIFA Western Regional Extension/Education and Research Activity
- Industry Honors/Awards
- 2015 – Outstanding Service Award, Nevada Landscape Association
- 2012 – Education/Research Award, Nevada Landscape Association
- 2006 – Utah Nursery and Landscape Association Board of Directors Leadership Award
- Kratsch, H. 2015-2016. Bioplastic Container Cropping Systems-Supplemental Funds. Subaward through Iowa State University on USDA-NIFA Specialty Crops Research Initiative (Supplemental). $17,948.
- Kratsch, H. 2014-2016. Enhancing Professionalism and Continuing Education Opportunities for Nevada’s Green Industry. Nevada Division of Forestry. $4,954.
- Kratsch, H. 2013-2014. Demonstration and Education about Penstemons for Great Basin Landscapes. American Penstemon Society. $931.
- Davison, J. and H. Kratsch. 2014-2016. Nevada Extension Integrated Pest Management Coordination and Support Program, USDA-NIFA. $384,900
- Kratsch, H. 2012-2013. Demonstration, Propagation and Outreach Education Related to Great Basin Native Plant Selection and Increase Program (GBNPSIP) Plant Materials. U.S. Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station (supplemental). $4,950.
- Davison, J., S. Donaldson, and H. Kratsch. 2011-2013. Nevada Extension Integrated Pest Management Coordination and Support Program, USDA-NIFA. $352,770.
- Kratsch, H. 2011-2016. Bioplastic Container Cropping Systems: Green Technology for the Green Industry. Subaward through Iowa State University on USDA-NIFA Specialty Crops Research Initiative. $139,672.
- Kratsch, H. and K. Seymour. 2011-2012. Community Gardens Build Healthy Kids. 2011. Nevada Department of Health and Human Services. $7,927
- Kratsch, H., Skelly, J.A., Hill, G., and Donaldson, S. 2017. Using Cluster Analysis to Target Educational Messages to Consumers. Journal of Extension 55(1) Article 1FEA1. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2017february/a1.php.
- Sriladda, C., Kratsch, H., Larson, S., Monaco, T., Shen, F.-A., Kjelgren, R. K. 2016. Interspecific Hybrid of Xeric Shepherdia rotundifolia and Riparian Shepherdia argentea: Description, and Traits Suitable for Low-water Urban Landscapes. HortScience. 51(7):822-828.
- Schrader, J.A., H.A. Kratsch, W.R. Graves (eds.). 2016. Bioplastic Container Cropping Systems: Green Technology for the Green Industry. Ames, Iowa: Sustainable Horticulture Research Consortium.
- Kratsch, H.A., Schrader, J.A., McCabe, K.G., Srinivasan, G., Grewell, D., & Graves, W.R. 2015. Performance and biodegradation in soil of novel horticulture containers made from bioplastics and biocomposites. HortTechnology 25(1):119-131.
- Sriladda, C., Kjelgren, R., Kratsch, H., Monaco, T., Larson, S., and F.-A. Shen. 2014. Ecological adaptation of the endemic Shepherdia rotundifolia to conditions in its Colorado Plateau range. Western North American Naturalist 74(1): 79-91.
- Bennett, P., E. Bauske, A. O’Connor, J. Reeder, C. Busch, H. Kratsch, E. Leger, A. O’Callaghan, P. Nitzsche, and A. J. Downer. 2013. Expanding Master Gardener Volunteer Program Outreach. HortTechnology 23(4): 411-415.
- Sriladda, C., H.A. Kratsch, S.R. Larson, R.K. Kjelgren. 2012. Morphological and genetic variation among four high desert Sphaeralcea species. HortScience 47(6):715-720.
- Rosenberg, D.E., K. Kopp, H.A. Kratsch, L.A. Rupp, P. Johnson, and R. Kjelgren. 2011. Landscape Engineering: identifying costs, water use, labor, and impacts to support landscape choice. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 47(3):635-649.
- Kratsch, H.A. (editor and chapter author). 2011. Water-efficient landscaping in the Intermountain West: A professional and do-it-yourself guide. Utah State University Press, Logan, Utah.